Skip to main content

The Versatile Pancake



Over the weekend I woke up with the overwhelming feeling of needing to eat pancakes.  So I thought, what would be the best way to accomplish Paleo Pancakes and what ingredients could I use?  I began to scour the internet at 8:30a.m. on a Saturday determined to find a good recipe.

I came across one that called for 3 eggs, Ghee, Coconut Flour and a sprinkle of salt from Nom Nom Paleo.  

I thought…That's easy, and I have Coconut flour.  Score!

I ran to my kitchen and began to prepare.  I got out the griddle pan.  I buttered the pan and turned on the heat.  I cracked 3 eggs into my cooking bowl and opened the cupboard looking for the Coconut flour.  I had so many gluten-free flours, but I didn't have coconut flour.  But I wasn't going to give up.  I scoured through my gluten-free flours again and decided on Arrowroot and Flaxseed Meal, since those were the only two Paleo friendly flours I had, and I hoped for the best.  You see I have never used either of those flours before, so it really was trial and error.  I was uber excited that the pancakes were such an awesome turnout!! 

Recipe 1: The Crepe Pancake:

2 Tbsp. Arrowroot Starch
1 Tbsp. Flaxseed Meal
1 Tbsp. unsweetened Coconut Milk
pinch of salt
3 eggs
up to 1 Tbsp. Ghee
optional: handful raw pumpkin seeds

Recipe 2:  The Thicker Pancake:

3 Tbsp. Arrowroot Starch
1 Tbsp. Flaxseed Meal
1 Tbsp. unsweetened Coconut Milk
pinch of sea salt
3 eggs
up to 1 Tbsp. Ghee
handful raw pumpkin seeds

DIRECTIONS:
1.  In a mixing bowl add Arrowroot, Flaxseed Meal, Coconut milk, 3 eggs and mix on medium speed with a hand mixer or fork until blended.
2. Grease pan with cooking spray and 1 Tsp or more. Ghee for each pancake.  Turn the stove on to medium heat.
3.  Add mixture to the pan, so that mixture coats the pan.  For a thinner crepe like pancake rotate the pan in a circular motion getting the pancake batter around the edges of the pan.  
4.  Add pumpkin seeds to pancake, or any spice or herb that you want to try, add at this point.
5.  These pancakes cook fast, so just a minute or two on each side, or until lightly browned, while pressing your spatula downward on the pancake.

Serves 2.


And as I began, It turned out to be the easiest and fastest recipe that ever lived.  I really think it was a total of 15 minutes from start to finish.  Perhaps even less.

I have to say, I was envisioning originally a sweet pancake, but once I realized I didn't have coconut flour I knew this would be savory.  I made these two different ways, and both were FANTASTIC.  The recipe makes two huge pancakes or a few small ones.  The flexibility, the chewiness of the pancake was all so perfect.  The arrowroot used curls up the edges, and even one pancake looked like it could have been an edible bowl.  It was literally the shape of a bowl.  The edges just curled inward.  It was wild.  Now keep in mind, and do not be alarmed if your pancake morphs into odd shapes.  Simply tame your cake with a spatula and pat it down.  Each pancake I made had a life of it's own.  It was definitely cool to watch.  I do believe that the pancakes come out differently if used with a fork to mix the batter vs. a hand mixer.  When it comes to appliances you use what you have as there is no 'wrong' way to make this pancake.  

Some of the pancakes looked hardened, but within moments would relax back to a flimsy pancake.
(This is from the thicker batter)  This one looked like that Indian Nan bread I used to get at the restaurants.

The thin Pancake started out like this: Flat, thin and flimsy.  It wasn't as thin as a paper thin crepe, but it was thin enough for me.  I got it this thin by rotating the pan in a circular motion so the batter would hug the sides of the pan too.

Then it morphed into this:
Small circular craters within the pancake, with the edges curling inward and upward.

Then the craters flattened, and the edges got curvier.

And then a flattened masterpiece.  Ta Da!

The Thicker version at first looked like this:
All wonky and weird.  But a few pats down with the spatula and it looked like

this.  A bit on the thicker side with wonkier edges curling in...
So I flipped it and patted it down.

And then it looked like this.  And of course, when I flipped it again another crazy thing happened!

This could have been a pie crust the way it looked.  But then it relaxed completely.  


 I ate mine plain.  They were just that good.

TIPS: Amazing and Delicious options to pair with these gorgeously tasting pancakes:

1. with maple syrup or honey, ghee and a sprinkle of Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cardamom and Cloves
2. with nuts, seeds, dried fruit and maple syrup
3. with dates and crushed bananas
4. with steak, spinach, sautéed onions
5. with steak, sautéed red peppers, sautéed spinach, Portobello Mushroom
6. with chicken, red peppers, carrots, sour cream, avocado and salsa
7. with bananas, dark chocolate and whipped cream
8. with sautéed apples or pears, cinnamon and nutmeg
9. with grilled peaches and coconut sugar
10. with chicken, dried chives, sour cream and guacamole


Enjoy!! xx Julie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not All Advil Is Gluten-Free!!!

After last night's POST , GF Advil was on my mind and I decided to call Advil/Pfizer this morning to get some more clarification.  In response to my post last night I advised through the website that Advil Liqui-gels, Advil Migraine and Advil Liqui-Gels PM contain a wheat derivative.  After my phone call with a lovely representative I received more information. - ALL ADVIL LIQUI-GELS contain a wheat derivative .   ALL LIQUI-GELS.  So stop these immediately if you are taking the Liqui-gels.  You maybe getting sick from a medication rather then a food and this is so important to recognize!  Just steer clear of Liqui-Gels. -ALL FORMS OF ADVIL MIGRAINE contain gluten .  There is no further information if it is just the Liqui-Gels or the Tablets, Caplets and Gel-Caps.  Pfizer does not have this info therefore they informed me to steer clear of all Advil Migraine pills. Here is what IS GLUTEN-FREE FROM ADVIL: All Advil Tablets, Gel-Caps ( which are different then Li

Hot Chocolate Coffee

Sometimes I feel like there are days only chocolate would understand.  And following a strict Paleo diet does not allot for chocolate eating.  Especially chocolate with added dried cane sugar.  And especially in abundance.  Of course special occasions allot for this type of activity, but today is not that day. So how do you put a sock in your chocolate craving?  Well, simply remove your sock from your foot and put it in your chocolate.  I'm kidding!  Please use a clean sock! Kidding again!!… Often, chocolate cravings can get the best of us, so I created a delicious recipe to kick my craving and your craving.  It's delicious.  And it's perfect for the lover of coffee and chocolate.  Taking a sip of this sent signals of pure decadence to my brain. A lot of my readers often describe how tough it is to drink black coffee without sweetener, so this one is for you guys!!   This recipe is a total Brain Trick.  It tastes sweet and chocolaty, so you think there is swee

Magnolia Bakery-Cream Cheese Frosting

Another amazing frosting recipe from Magnolia!  I swear by these recipes, this is my go-to book for icing when I bake!! 1 pound (two 8-ounce packages) cream cheese, softened and cut into small pieces 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened and cut into small pieces 1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract 5 cups sifted confectioners' sugar In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth, about 3 minutes.  Add the vanilla and beat well.  Gradually add the sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating continuously until smooth and creamy.  Cover and refrigerate icing for 2-3 hours, but no longer, to thicken before using. Makes enough for one 2-or 3-layer 9-inch cake Enjoy! xoxo Julie www.goodiegoodiegluten-free.blogspot.com